I received the best compliment from a bride I was meeting with the other day. As she was looking through one of my sample albums she asked, “What do you do that makes your photos so different from all the other photographers who I look at? Do you do something special to them? Everyone else’s pictures are just pictures, but yours are different.”
To me, that is the best compliment! Why? Because, I really DO NOTHING special to them. I have no magic to transform an ordinary image into something extraordinary.
But here’s what I do have:
- a fundamental understanding of how light behaves in differing circumstances,
- excellent lenses and cameras
- a fast working knowledge of my cameras and lenses,
- an ability to read people and try to make them feel most comfortable in their own skin,
- an eye for composition and pleasant design,
- and certainly the least of these…the expertise to edit my images to bring out the best in each one.
So you see…. I have no magic. Like most things, being good at something takes time, determination, study, understanding, and LOTS and LOTS of practice! Yes — you can achieve all of this if you put your mind to it — if your heart lives and breathes the art of finding beauty in the ordinary. Everything is beautiful in it’s own way. My job is to find that beauty….. and capture it. That’s the magic.